Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Finally a Finish

This sofa quilt has been hanging around for a while so I finally loaded it on Ariadne and just stitched!  Nothing fancy mind, this is for the dogs to sleep on and to save the sofa cushions.

I'm really pleased with the piecing, especially the scrappy binding.  I had quite a few of the strips left so it was great to use them up.  I've only done it single though because of all the extra joining seams.

Also these two have been growing.
That's as far as I've done to date though.  Legs, arms and tinsey, wincey fingers to do next!

John has been poorly this week again, he had nasty man flu before we left.  I noticed in Sainsbury's that they actually now do medicine for man flu!  Had to laugh.  Anyway this week has included a nasty little reaction called coughing syncope which means he has been loosing conciousness whilst coughing.  Not funny to see or to experience and luckily this mostly happened in the evening when he was sitting down already.  John is not a little fella and it's a long way down if he falls over!! Fingers crossed he is over it now.

Whilst we were away we did both notice one thing, our joints started to ache again.  Mine was worst in my fingers and especially in my thumbs.  Between 6th January and 20th March I lost 32 lbs in weight by cutting out fats, sugars, alcohol and carbs, anything nice really.  On this holiday we went back to eating lots of things like bread and potatoes (and I put 5lbs back on!!).  I've gone back to the no carbs and already the pain is starting to ease.  I do believe wheat could have something to do with it.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

I hope you have a great week and perhaps the sun might shine!!





16 comments:

  1. I have cut right down (but not out completely) on carbs since the start of this year, and I noticed a bad cough almost disappeared (after suffering for four years), but each time I have any bread it starts up again - not too difficult to make the now obvious connection! Wheat has a lot to answer for healthwise!
    The quilt looks far too good for just dogs!
    Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we do have to pay attention to we are what we eat! The dogs don't mind being spoilt. :-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck giving back those 5lbs. As long as you feel better for it...you will! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two gone already. Just back to being good! Boring but I do like a good salad.

      Delete
  3. What lucky dogs! Hope John gets better, never heard it called man flu before, but we have that same phenom here in the USA! Great job on the weight loss, it is hard to resist goodies when traveling, but we need to keep on the wagon when we are home to maintain our health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can keep it off quite well, if we don't go anywhere!! lol

      Delete
  4. Lovely quilt for your dogs :-) I had a shock on the scales yesterday, I have put on nearly half a stone and weight gain has always been a real problem for me in the past. Good luck with getting your weight off. I intend to start gettting some exercise before I need another wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the clothes are a much better indicator. Scales are just numbers. They still make you say eek though!

      Delete
  5. Wow your dogs are so lucky to sleep on such a beautiful quilt - lovely job! Sorry to hear John has been unwell, no wonder you were frightened with him losing consciousness, I do hope he's well again now and you can relax. Yes, I tend to agree, there must be something in wheat products that affects us, I hear more and more of it lately. Well done on losing the weight - my diet starts next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John is now all well again thankfully and my hands really are responding well to no wheat. Good luck with starting the diet!!

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear he's fully recovered, that sounded very unpleasant, not to mention frightening. I hope your dogs fully appreciate their lovely quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilt now totally squirmed on by said dogs. :-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely quilt, I am sure the dogs will appreciate it :} Well done on the weight loss, hope you discover exactly what is triggering the aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extra gained weight almost all gone now and so have the aches. Will really watch the wheat intake in the future me thinks!

      Delete
  8. Your quilt is lovely, well done getting it finished. Well we must have got your weather now, never stopped raining and it is cool.
    The dogs will be cosy with their quilt. Hope you have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milly. On one of the island in Lake Maggiore all of the beaches were covered in smooth pottery shards from roof tiles etc. I thought of you.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.