Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Linda and Laura Kemshall Exhibition

On Monday we drove to Gliffaes in South Wales for a rather nice treat.  Tuesday we visited a friend in Treharris and then went on to Aberdare and the Cynon Valley Museum and Art Gallery where Linda and Laura Kemshall are holding an exhibition called 'With Hand and Heart'  

It was absolutely lovely to see such a profusion of first class textile work all in one place and beautifully displayed. Even John, who claims to be the least artistic person around, was bowled over by the themes, textures and extremely high quality of it all.

I will leave you with a few of the photos I took, with permission of course.  The exhibition runs until 10th September and is well worth the visit.  There is more information on Linda and Laura's link above. (Don't forget to click to enlarge!) 
















PS John has just pointed out to me that there are no people in the photographs though there were quite a lot in the gallery. I had to tell him that I was very good and sneaky about when I took the photos and then rather clever in not posting those with people's heads and bodies in the way either, and a few ladies saw me with the camera and dove behind a pillar too. It was the artwork I wanted you to see, not a load of very excited ladies wishing they could do such wonderful work. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a fabulous set of photos Amanda. I really enjoyed seeing them all. Linda and Laura are just so awesome in the amount of work they do and the different ideas they have. That split quilt is very interesting. The exhibition space is fantastic too. Hmmm, wonder if I could squeeze in a vist? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful profusion of amazing art and textile work. You are so fortunate to be able to be there to see it in person. Great photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic display! And so well laid out! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, they will be moving on with some of this exhibition to Forge Mill Needle Museum, Redditch
    www.forgemill.org.uk if that's any nearer to you.

    Sorry you will miss it Shirley and Maggie, it's always so exciting to know when a good textile display is going to be on!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly talented duo they are ... I doubt I could do that much work if I lived to be 200. Such inspiration ... all jaw dropping stuff. Thanks for sharing, and I'm so envious of you being able to go to the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your post on this exhibition as I was previously unaware of it and of Linda and Laura's fantastic work. Aberdare isn't too far from me so I visited this week. What an experience and quite possibly quilting life changing. I ws lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time chatting to Belinda at the museum who was so heplful and informative. Highly recommended if you can get there do go.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.