Friday 15 August 2014

Well Hello There!

Long time no read!  I know a lot of you have been busy enjoying the summer so I'm sure blogging is the last thing you've been doing.  I have enjoyed seeing quite a few pictures of the Festival of Quilts that have been posted!  Yet another year I haven't made it.

My health took a bit of a dive again at the end of July just when John had gone away to South America and it's taken an age to find my feet again.  That and the absolute nothingness that has been my inclination to create since the Open Studios, a horrid feeling, I really have nothing much to show at all.

Today I finally had the guts to slash into some of my beautiful hand dyed fabrics which I bought at least 18 months ago for a particular thought that has, hopefully, coalesced into a project.  I took a huge breath I can tell you!  Fingers crossed what I have in my head I can put into practise.


I have just layered them all up and used the Micro Stitch to tack them.  I never did manage to buy the honeycomb plate that came with the gun and I believe they stopped making it.  Anyway I saw the big, stiff brush that is used with felting needles and shoved that underneath to push into.  Worked a treat! 

I have managed a few bits for Olivia. 


Do you know I have made four or five of these dresses and rompers and quite a few cardies and I just keep forgetting to take photos!  At least my dressmaking skills are coming along. 

One thing I did manage to do while I could actually still stand up for a bit was sand down a beautiful slab of ash given to me by Darren Wheeler, one of my fellow Dorset Visual Artists.  I cut some butterflies from ebony for the splits, (yes I chose the piece specifically for the splits!), and set them in.


Then a few coats of Danish oil and its absolutely perfect for the top of the sewing machine base John bought me for my birthday last year.


Yes, I've had another one of those too.  John came home on my birthday which was the best present I could have asked for.

Now if I can pace myself we have quite a laid back weekend ahead and I hope you all have a good one too! 


.