Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Conversation With Self.


“Oh that’s nice.”
“What is?”
“That is, that they’ve made.”
“What is it?”
“I don’t know but I want to make one.”
“Why?”
“Because I think I can make one.”
“But what’s it for?”
“I don’t know!”
“So why do you want to make one?”
“Because I can!!”
“But what will you do with it once you have made it?”
“I’ve no idea.”
“So what’s the point in making it?”
“Just to see if I can.  I just have to make something.”
“But without a use or a home to go to there is no reason. Everything has to have a reason”
“Why does someone walk around a golf course hitting a little white ball?”
“Exercise? To be with friends? To gain a score?”
“But to me it’s a pretty pointless pastime.  As is taking a walk from A to B and back again.  You have a bit of fresh air and a memory.”
“And if you sit and scribble, paint, stitch etc you just end up with a cupboard full of stuff that doesn’t go anywhere.”
“That’s alright then. We’re agreed that I can just make stuff just because I can, just like I could just go for a walk or have a game of golf.  All absolutely pointless stuff that won’t change the world, just make my world a little nicer.”
“OK, I’ll agree to that.”
“Good. Now go away I want to create and fill my cupboards!”


A genuine conversation I have with myself, and not just the once or twice.  I do envy people who can just churn stuff out whether it has a purpose or destination or not.   Everyone has to have an outlet but why do I have to keep justifying the one I enjoy?

.


7 comments:

  1. Glad you ended the conversation on a positive note. I notice that you didn't include the argument that you do these things because you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....or because it is a release from the stresses and strains of life/work/family/aged parents/delinquent dogs etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Maggi, I'm glad your positive voice won over Mr Negative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the giggle. Have you read Naomi Wolf's the treehouse? It's a favourite of mine, its central message is that if you feel the need to create, then you must create or you cannot be happy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been there myself ... sometimes you wonder what's the point, but then the need to be creative is just too strong and you have to do it anyway. At the end of the day, if its harmless to everyone, and makes you happy doing it, then just go with the flow and enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This actually sounds like a conversation I would have with my husband:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.