Saturday, 6 November 2010

SAHR 5

I previously mentioned that I did take the side strip off and turn it around.  You can see it matches the chequers which is quite strange because I certainly didn't consciously do it that way!  Must have been the little fellas at it again, and the nap of the velvet is the same now.

Month 5 was to add two pieces to the top (or bottom), one 4 x 6 inches and one 4 x 7 inches.  my 6" piece is the three strips of silk to the left and the 7" piece is the silk with the mottling and small piece of velvet to the right.



I must admit to struggling a little with this.  I do work quite a lot intuitively, seeing where the work takes me with a vague idea but I think the stumbling block is that someone else (Kate) has the master plan and I haven't had a peek.  I feel this way when I have a workshop and there are very vague instructions or I haven't seen tutor 'samples' of what we should be doing.  Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the challenge and Kate is doing a fab job being hostess but I am pushing myself through a wall each month.  Perhaps I need to do this more often!! 

8 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean - that's one of the problems I had working on the round robin when I first did it myself. It was compounded by other people doing the previous rounds, many of them in ways which I would NOT have chosen, which meant your options were even more limited. But I tend to either overplan things or work with no plan at all (just see where each step takes me without any finished idea in mind) so I did find this a useful exercise, too - to just try to examine the piece for what it was at that very moment in time and add to it accordingly, then let the next month take care of itself when it comes... It exercises a different part of your brain! With this particularly round robin, it's harder as I know what the grand plan is, though I try to do my section each month without really thinking about what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I also think that the time scale has played a part. It's nice to keep going until there is a natural stop, hopefully towards the end of a project, and not too long until the next inspiration comes along. This has quite big gaps between. But again it's learning and using a new discipline. AND patience! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's looking pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's working really well Ano and I like the contrast between the silk and the velvet. I work in quite an intuitive way too and I quite like being given this challenge each month to add to the piece within certain constraints. I've never done a traditional Round Robin where you work after the previous person and I think I would find that much harder (although maybe interesting). I am not thinking too much about where we're going I'm just dealing with each step as it arrives.I may be working myself into a corner, who knows? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just makes you want to feel the textures. :)
    Kate sure is keeping us on our toes and I'm finding the challenge most enjoyable. Thanks Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops! Sorry! That should be Amo! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is looking good to this point, hopefully the future additions will tie it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's looking good and although you are outside your comfort zone it really does mean that you can add your own take on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.