Monday, 22 March 2010

Oooo I Ache!

Last year I had the last one in a series of mystery quilts from Quilters Haven. It was called Tea Ceremony and it made up like one giant block, so, easy to sew but it was in colours that I wouldn't actually go near normally. Perhaps that's a good thing.

There were the bright green sections, almost plain, the orange tan sections, also nearly plain, and burgundy flowered sections. I can't say I took to it very much at all actually.

I finished the top and it went over the banister at the top of the stairs where I seem to keep tops waiting backing, batting and quilting and it has stayed there gradually being buried and ignored.

I knew the plain blocks needed fancy quilting and not on the mid arm. It was going to be a job for Bob the Bernina. I ordered a matching King Tutt thread in both the green and the tan. They then sat on my work table for another few months.

I have become a firm believer in trusting my instincts and the little people in the back of my head. If I have a problem or something isn’t going naturally, I leave it and let the little people work on it for me. Sometimes they find an answer quickly but other times, like with the quilt, it takes a little longer. I know something is brewing in there but I’m not always let in on the secret. When they are ready, they flick a switch and I have a light bulb moment.

That happened yesterday evening. I was to swap the colours of the threads around; I was going to do the green on green and tan on tan, but not now. I worked out the centre section on Golden Threads paper and sewed away. I love free machining, but this wasn’t. It was following lines I had drawn. I carried on and then had to spend twice as much time tearing out the paper. I’m still sane but only just.

Today I was not going to spend ages planning, drawing, copying, sewing, tearing, tweasering and vacuuming! I was going to free machine!

And I have been and now I ache. I’ve made sure I stopped after 45 minutes and had 15 minutes break. I’ve still quite a way to go but I’m hopefully going to finish tonight so I can take it to my sewing group tomorrow and hand sew the binding.

Photos then.

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the Golden Threads paper but unfortunately so does the cat and he tries to hoover up all the bits for me. Usually makes me revert to free machining too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.