Monday, 31 May 2010

A Trip Out

As I said in the last post, it was the Chettle House Garden and Craft open weekend. 


Chettle House is about three miles from us and when we went to the show last year we came away with quite a few goodies for the garden and wanting more this year.


I have quite a few hares around the place, 10 I think at the last count, and this is moongazer No 8.  The nesting birds plaque and Green Man were from Hilltop Garden where Paul Harvey of Whitchurch sells and displays some of his stonework. I know he produces quite a few pieces for resale but they are not mass produced on an imported scale and have great unique qualities. I already have one of his horned gargoyles. 


And I finished the Kingfisher.  John would like this one framed rather than just shoved in the folio! 

I am really having trouble keeping my head out of Jan Messant's book.  It really is lovely and a total inspiration.  I am thinking of translating a couple of her ideas into pieces. We live in a very ancient landscape here, we even find oyster shells from the Romans in the garden and we're 20 miles from the sea, and I would like to incorporate this into something.  Thing are stewing with the little fellas in the back of the brain!!

I hope Spring Holiday is good for you where you are.  I keep putting on skirts but I'm usually back in jeans by lunchtime!!  It will be great weather from tomorrow of course.

11 comments:

  1. That is what I love about Britian, is its respect for antiquity. To think that the Roman legions were walking the ground you live on, and to still find artifacts of that is fascinating! Your kingfisher is awesome! It deserves to be framed and shown off! Your kingfishers are much prettier than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the Paul Harvey Green Man and birds! Of course, I really love the hare too! Lucky it's too far for me to travel, otherwise I don't think I could have resisted all of the ten hares you've seen. (Did you..?)
    Great to see the finished kingfisher! It really is wonderful, very lifelike!! Far too pretty to put in a folio!
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see it finished! You are a fab pasterler! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow your kingfisher is truly beautiful and deserves to be framed for all to enjoy, you are an amazing artist.
    I love your new garden goodies that green man is cool !
    Enjoy your nice weather it is beautiful weather here i do miss England at times especially the seaside i used to live in Lytham st annes, by the sea near Blackpool
    hugs
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite right too that the kingfisher should be framed. He is stunning. I love that hare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered the frame today. Not sure where it will end up mind! (I do have a good tutor though!)
    I already have 10 hares Dan. If you come around here, remind me to keep an eye on them!! lol
    The weather has gone ye goode olde English pants Michelle, it's raining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on not making it 11! And yes, you'd be best to count them before I left, and check whether I looked like I had an especially heavy-looking handbag! I hope you'll share them on your blog sometime! I haven't counted how many I have, but it's probably just a handful. Lost one to the frost this winter.
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Kingfisher is so real...stunning is an understatement...it would look wonderful framed and hung on the wall. Wonderful can you explain the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOps...thought you had embroidered the Kingfisher...now I read the blog properly see is is a pastel....but still the same comments your art is wonderful
    ...from dippy old dame

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had your skill with the embroidery needle Shirley, I might stand a chance of making a good rendition of Kingfisher in stitch! I can just pass one with my 'scribbling crayons' as John calls them let alone a needle and thread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first read of your blog, Amo, and I am blown away by your art! It is amazing, and I'll be checking back! Your part of the world is so different from ours. Old buildings here are are nothing compared to yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.