Thursday, 31 December 2015

The Closing of 2015

My word for the past year was Progress. I entered the year hoping to move forward with my work and try and find my inner voice. I don't think I have succeeded. I have decided I have had enough of doing courses to try and give myself a qualification I really don't need to prove to peers, well what exactly?  I don't do this for anyone else but my own satisfaction and to scratch that itch. You know what I mean.

I feel, as I did after finishing my City and Guilds in 2012, that if anything I'm being blocked from doing what I want or need to do by doing this course with the Embroiderers Guild. I have the Open Studios in May and I feel nowhere near ready because I have to do coursework. I've missed a couple of opportunities because I couldn't focus because of coursework. I have an exhibition with friends and, yes I know it's a long way off in 2017, but... You guessed it I can't even think of it because of coursework.

I only have three sessions left of this Level 2 and then I'm going to call it a day. I don't need to join an exhibiting group who want me to prove who I am, what I can do or where I am going, I just want to be me and do my pottering and enjoy what comes out the other end.

This year I'm going to slightly cheat and have two words for the year. Two very small words mind. 

Be Me. 

I'm going to just go ahead and create and you never know I may, one day, hear the voice.

Today is the last day of 2015 and the last day of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge, I can go back to weeklyish now.  Thank you for your company throughout the whole year, not just this past month, on here and on Facebook.  I wish you the very best in health, happiness and creativity for 2016. 


See you next year! XX 

6 comments:

  1. If the courses aren't fun then they have to go! Fab two words for the new year! I have never grasped the fun of doing a group project with an obscure theme, I have so much I already want to do without wasting time, effort and materials on other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Benta. I love courses where I learn new techniques or get inspired. I choose a few selective day courses to help the momentum flow. But like you it's now about the inner voice and I think I'm finding it. There is still lots to learn ( all those printing techniques) and the inner voice does chop and change but yes, follow your own path and see where it takes you.

    Btw brilliant dog pose! How many bribes were involved??

    Happy New Year

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a fine line between being inspired with new things & getting bogged down with stuff you 'have' to do. A little discipline never hurts, tho (says the greatest procrastinator)but you get to choose. Yes 'be me' is great. Finally allowed myself to enjoy your December posts - I see your Highly Commended Cert, beautiful bags (ok, if course work, you can do it now!) soft rusty stitching, & a friend to compare notes with. You are already a varied & exciting artist.I enjoyed the quote from the Arts & Crafts Movement plaque "advocating simple & honest craftsmanship together with the use of natural materials. There we go, then & a happy & creative new year to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see your words for the year - you are such a lovely you. You are a good artist and if you believe in yourself it shines out of what you produce.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an excellent plan and appropriate words to remind you throughout the year. Because you KNOW you'll need to be reminded from time to time. ;-) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When courses become things that we feel we should do, it's time to stop and you are right to do this. There will be days when you want to know how to do something which will help you to move forwards, find a course that addresses that particular thing or Google it, that way you don't have to deal with the things that you didn't want.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, it is much appreciated. I will email you back so please check you are not a no reply blogger.